Anglican Diocese of Port Elizabeth

Click to learn more about our diocesan coat of arms

Home | Clerical Directory | Diocesan Directory | Parishes | Full Directory (requires login) | Events | News | Synod | iindaba






Parish Information

Saint Peter and Saint James
Archdeaconry: Karoo
District: Cradock
Telephone: 041-881-4106

Postal Address:
PO Box 427
Cradock
5880

Priest-in-charge: Revd Samantha Lynn Eagles
Self-supporting: Revd Maria Allens

Worship Style:
Traditional

History:
When Bishop Robert Gray visited Cradock in 1848, he found sixty families who called themselves `English Church People', but no church. A meeting was called and the only remaining church erf was secured. Ten years later St Peter's church was consecrated by Bishop Cotterill, the sanctuary and chancel being built of local stone given by the people. A Rectory was purchased in 1860, and a room in the rectory was made available for a library, used by local inhabitants including the well known author Olive Schreiner. The Parish Hall was built in 1893; the Lych Gate and stone wall were erected in 1949, in memory of parishioners who fell during World War II; and a new rectory was built in 1962. In 1974 the property suffered sadly when the Great Fish River came down in flood, and floodwaters two metres deep caused great devastation to the whole property. During the past two decades the Parish has suffered the same fate as many other rural parishes, with a loss of members mainly due to the drift of people from the rural areas to the more prosperous urban areas. On top of this almost a decade of crippling drought conditions which has seen many traditional farmers dispossessed of their land due to financial pressures. St James, Michausdal (See Church of the Ascension)

Back to previous page

Home | Clerical Directory | Diocesan Directory | Parishes | Full Directory (requires login) | Events | News | Synod | iindaba

Powered by PE Church Net / Easy CMS Website Builder