Anglican Diocese of Port Elizabeth

Click to learn more about our diocesan coat of arms

Home | Clerical Directory | Diocesan Directory | Parishes | Full Directory (requires login) | Events | News | Synod | iindaba






Parish Information

Swartkops
Archdeaconry: Kariega
District: Zwartkops River Valley

Postal Address:
PO Box 45
Swartkops
6045

Street Address:
Swartkops
Port Elizabeth

Deacon - self supporting: Revd Abigail Nozicelo Tukulu
Rector: The Venerable David Johannes Grobbelaar
: Revd Ulrugt Garneth Fleurs

Service Times:
Sunday - alternate at Swartkops and Redhouse
8.00 am
Thursdays at Swartkops
10.00 am

Worship Style:
Free Anglican worship

History:
St Nicholas, Redhouse The first services were conducted in a private house by clergy and lay readers from St Katharine's, Uitenhage. From 1900 the services became the responsibility of Holy Trinity, then St Mary's, then once again St Katharine's. In 1903 the Redhouse Ladies Vigilance Association decided to build a village hall to accommodate the worship of both Anglicans and Methodists within the village. In 1939 the land on which the church stands was obtained and over the next few years many generous donations and other assistance from the village people led to the construction of the church for R6 000. It was dedicated in July 1953 and consecrated in October 1960. In 1962 St Nicholas became a chapelry of St Cuthbert's until 1979 when it joined St Agnes as the Parish of Zwartkops River Valley. St Agnes, Swartkops Services in Swartkops were first held in 1908 in the St Agnes Mission Hall, and there are also some references to services being held in the New Brighton Hotel. The present church was built in 1913 for the princely sum of stlg352, at which time it was a chapelry of St Mary's. A vestry was added in 1920 and the church hall completed in 1936. The church building was modified in 1962 to include a new sanctuary in the shape of an apse giving it very good acoustic qualities, and the beautiful rederos with its three panels was moved to the rear of the nave. The church celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 1963.

Back to previous page

Home | Clerical Directory | Diocesan Directory | Parishes | Full Directory (requires login) | Events | News | Synod | iindaba

Powered by PE Church Net / Easy CMS Website Builder