Archdeaconry: The Bay
District: Port Elizabeth City
PO Box 6094
2 Villiers Road
Rector: Revd William Dudley Greenshields
Retired - Permission to officiate: The Revd Winston Spencer George Bright
Self supporting - Permission to officiate: The Revd Shirmell Newman
Parish Secretary: Danica du Plessis
7.30 am & 9.00 am
"Middle of the road"
In November 1937, the newly formed PE Church Extension Board resolved that a church should be built in the vicinity of South End, and in December 1937 a loan was approved by St. Mary's. With added financial help from Holy Trinity and St. Cuthbert's a hall was erected on the site in 1939.
The Revd. Archie Byrne was the first priest-in-charge and within three years the original building was extended to include a Church and Hall. After the Dedication Service on 1st August 1942, the Parish Leaflet reports:
The secret of the church is that it was built on prayer and gifts - for three years we prayed for a church and now we have it. Of the gifts that have been showered upon St. Saviour's you are all aware, and it is this aspect that will make our people realise that the church is their very own.
The church was Consecrated on 21st November 1953 and within two weeks of the service, Italian Borer Beetle was found in all the wood-work and major replacement work was needed. In 1950 the first Rectory was bought and was sold in 1955 and the present Rectory bought. Over the next few years, the hanging crucifix carved by Job Kekena was installed as was the pipe organ, and stained glass replaced ordinary glass in many of the windows. In September 1991, the new complex linking the hall to the church, with offices, book room and counselling rooms was opened by the Revd. Jock Ellis who had been priest-in-charge from 1945-1953
With its 450 registered families St. Saviour's is a thriving, pulsating hive of activity - covering every aspect of Christian love and service - endeavouring to fulfil the Parish Vision: "To become a Christ-filled family with a sense of joy in worship, caring for one another through active ministry to - Our Youth. Our Elderly, Our Community"
Back to previous page
| Clerical Directory
| Diocesan Directory
| Full Directory (requires login)
| Synod 2017
Powered by PE Church Net / Easy CMS Website Builder