Anglican Diocese of Port Elizabeth

Click to learn more about our diocesan coat of arms

Home | Clerical Directory | Diocesan Directory | Parishes | Full Directory (requires login) | Events | News | Synod | iindaba






Parish Information

Saint John the Baptist
Archdeaconry: The Bay
District: Port Elizabeth City
Telephone: 041-581-2162
Fax: 041-581-5996
Website: www.stjohnswalmer.org.za

Postal Address:
PO Box 40292
Walmer
6070

Street Address:
Cnr. Church Road & 8th Avenue
Walmer 6010
Port Elizabeth

Assistant Priest : Revd Brian Dennis Axcell
Dean and Rector: The Very Revd Mark Edward Derry
Retired: Revd Angela Doreen Brown
Retired - Permission to officiate: Revd Christopher Ben Durham
Retired - Permission to officiate: The Rt Revd Eric Pike
Retired - Permission to officiate: The Revd Canon Barry Arnold Sendall
Self supporting: Deacon: Revd Robert Lesley Phillips
Parish Secretary: Debbie Tarbuck

Service Times:
Sunday
7.30 am Holy Communion - traditional liturgy
9.30 am Holy Communion - with childrens church and creche
6.00 pm Evening Worship - non-liturgical
 

Worship Style:
as above

History:
The foundation stone for the original (Sophy Grey design) church of St John the Baptist was laid on 23 April 1881. For the first 12 years it was a chapelry of St Mary the Virgin, but in 1893 the old rectory was built and the Revd A Cass, the First Vicar, was installed. The first School in Walmer operated from the church until 1906 when the 4th Avenue School was built. In 1956 the old church building was demolished to make way for the present building and the project was completed with the addition of a fine pipe organ in 1965. A spurt of growth followed and the debt on the buildings was paid off, enabling the Church to be Consecrated by Bishop Gordon Tindall on 2 June 1968. The rapid growth in the parish was continued through the involvement of lay people in responsibilities for both the spiritual and temporal affairs of the parish as various working groups developed and added impetus to the growth. In many parts of the world there was a Renewal of the Holy Spirit being manifested and this joy spread through St John's as many people came to recognise the power of God the Holy Spirit as He poured out His gifts on the Church. In 1987 a major decision was made to build 12 retirement cottages on the excess land around the complex which has resulted in a happy community of folk living there. In 1994, as a result of a vivid vision and prophecy from Ezekiel 47, the choir vestry was relocated and the old area, with its beautiful stained glass windows, was converted into a much needed chapel and dedicated as "The Chapel of the Living Waters."

Back to previous page

Home | Clerical Directory | Diocesan Directory | Parishes | Full Directory (requires login) | Events | News | Synod | iindaba

Powered by PE Church Net / Easy CMS Website Builder