In 1922, Canon Mayo, the Rector of St Mary's Church, started visiting the parishioners in a developing area called Fairview. The pastoral work started to develop and building a church became a need. Canon Mayo remarked: "A church on a hill cannot be hid", and so chose the present location. The present Mayo Hall was the original church building with the turning of the first sod on 25 April 1925. As Mr Jenkins, one of the pioneers in establishing the parish church, turned that first sod a small golden-coloured cross was revealed which was taken as a sign of the Lord's confirmation of the site for His church. In 1931 St Hugh's became a chapelry of St Mary's and paid an assessment. During the same year, a bell, called `Little Hugh', was installed and pealed the call for people to come and worship. In 1932 Fairview was renamed Newton Park, with St Hugh's becoming a separate parish in 1953, with responsibility for St Albans, Draaifontein and Holy Trinity, Thornhill. When Kabega started flourishing it was also responsible for All Saints Church. It took 30 years to accumulate enough money to start building the present church structure. In August 1955 the foundation stone was laid. Above this is a 700 year old stone shaped like a crozier and was part of the Angel Choir (St Hugh's tomb), in Lincoln Cathedral, of which he was Bishop. It was sent in 1951 when it fell from the Choir. Over the past years the main hall has been added with a kitchen and then the Training Centre, with the Diocesan and Bishop's office upstairs. One of the many blessings is that of many vocations to the ordained ministry raised and nurtured the parish. Many members of the clergy in this diocese and around, were formerly parishioners at St Hugh's. We pray that the Lord of the harvest may raise many more men and women to the ordained ministry in the years ahead. Another blessing is the establishment of the Maranatha Foundation. This complex of cottages provides homes for many of the senior parishioners, with a superb Frail Care Centre attached. This, along with many other parish initiatives, is a sign of the ongoing commitment to mission.
Powered by PE Church Net / Easy CMS Website Builder