Anglican Diocese of Port Elizabeth

Click to learn more about our diocesan coat of arms

Home | Clerical Directory | Diocesan Directory | Parishes | Full Directory (requires login) | Events | News | Synod | iindaba






Parish Information

Saint Barnabas
Archdeaconry: The Bay
District: Port Elizabeth City
Telephone: 041 3731808
Email: stbarnabasencourager@gmail.com

Postal Address:
P O Box 3574
North End
Port Elizabeth
6000

Street Address:
Rhodes Street
Sydenham
Port Elizabeth

Rector: The Revd David Edwin Doveton
Self supporting - Permission to officiate: Revd Thomas Peter Maulgas
Self-supporting Assistant Priest : Revd Lynn Venessa De Doncker
Self-supporting : Deacon: The Revd Sharon Brandt

Service Times:
Sunday
8.30 am

Worship Style:
Charismatic

History:
The foundation stone of St Barnabas' Church was laid on 13 May 1904 as a result of evangelists from St Paul's Church being sent into the northern areas, with the Dedication Service being conducted on 9 December 1904. The first service was held on 6 November 1904. The church of St Matthew's in Sidwell,which at one stage became a separate parish, and St Christopher's, a house church in Algoa Park, followed as a result of the growth in the Sydenham area, but in turn closed down. It was not until 1916 when the first vestry meeting was held at St Barnabas, that Chapelwardens/Churchwardens were elected. Up until that period St Paul's nominated an official to be responsible for the conduct of the affairs of St Barnabas' Church. In 1940 the Revd L M Morran became the first Rector at the new Parish of St Barnabas, having previously been Priest-in-Charge for approximately one year. The Hayman Hall was officially opened on 15 April 1926 by Archdeacon Flack. It was named after Capt William Hayman of the Church Army who worked in the Sydenham area and was partly responsible for the establishment of St Barnabas' Church. The foundation stone of the new Church was laid on 20 August 1960 by the Rt Rev Selby Taylor, Lord Bishop of Grahamstown. The 75th Anniversary of the Church was celebrated with a special service on 10 June 1979. The original Rectory was purchased in 1933, however, in 1962 the property at 7 Rhodes Street was purchased as the Rectory. There are approximately 150 families on the parish register at present and the parish has a vision of outreach into the area, in terms of evangelism.

Back to previous page

Home | Clerical Directory | Diocesan Directory | Parishes | Full Directory (requires login) | Events | News | Synod | iindaba

Powered by PE Church Net / Easy CMS Website Builder