Archdeaconry: The Bay
District: Port Elizabeth City
P.O. Box 6045
A120 Gamanda Street
Rector: The Revd Lungile Melvis Ngcola
9.00 am Holy Communion - Traditional liturgy
18H 30 - Evening Service ( with Holy Communion every last Wednesday of the month ).
From 1920, when Walmer Township came into existance, until 1941, St Stephen's, New Brighton, cared for the few Anglicans living in the Township. A temporary church was then built, but was burnt down, and in 1961 the Moravian church was vacated and bought by St Augustine's, which was granted Parish status. Since the 1970's, St Augustine has been growing strong. It has suffered ups and downs, but on the whole it survived the hardest times, emerging with full potential and well motivated to face the challenges of her future development. With the new opportunities, St Augustine has come under the direct focus of the diocesan visionary leadership. It has been designated a missionary District, and a missionary Priest has been placed in the Community. The new church building and rectory were completed in 1998. It should be remembered by generations to come, that St Augustine`s congregation survived disintegration because of the combined efforts of the Christian church both black and white in Walmer area. At least one white has registered as a member of the congregation as this document was being compiled for Jubilee celebrations. St Augustine's will also be remembered as the first black congregation in South Africa to willingly accept the ministry of a woman Priest, the Revd Diana Nkesiga.
University and Technikon Chaplaincy: - The Revd Diana Nkesiga
Back to previous page
| Clerical Directory
| Diocesan Directory
| Full Directory (requires login)
| Synod 2017
Powered by PE Church Net / Easy CMS Website Builder