Anglican Diocese of Port Elizabeth

Click to learn more about our diocesan coat of arms

Home | Clerical Directory | Diocesan Directory | Parishes | Full Directory (requires login) | Events | News | Synod | iindaba






Parish Information

Holy Trinity
Archdeaconry: The Bay
District: Port Elizabeth City
Telephone: 041-585-2437
Fax: 086 586 3601 / 041 585 2437
Email: admin@holytrinitychurch.co.za
Website: www.holytrinitychurch.co.za/index.php

Postal Address:
P O Box 27565
Greenacres
6057

Street Address:
Cnr. Havelock and Whitlock Streets
Central
Port Elizabeth 6001

Administator - Resurrection Haven: Revd Nicolette Nelleen, Leonard
Priest - self- supporting: The Revd Abosede Olabisi Fadeyi-Adetuberu
Priest - Self-supporting: The Revd Charles van der Westhuizen
Priest in charge: Revd Ulrugt Garneth Fleurs
Self supporting: Priest: Revd Xhantilomzi Mhlontlo
Self-supporting : Permission to Officiate: The Revd Enoch Nkonzo Ncula
Parish Secretary: Joy Lancaster

Service Times:
Sunday
09h00


Worship Style:
Charismatic/Free worship

History:
The Trinity congregation was founded in 1854 when a group of parishioners who, according to the Declaration of 1859, "voluntarily retired from St Mary's Church ... because of the introduction of novelties and the propagation of doctrines which seemed to us inconsistent with the plain truth of the Gospel, as contained in the Holy Scriptures and held by our venerated Church." The original church was built at the bottom of Military Road. However, with the need for ministry to the growing population on the Hill, the Bishop recommended that the congregation should rather move there. This church was opened for worship on 1 April 1866. There was seating for 160 people and in 1867 this was increased to 380. The hall was built in 1882, and in 1884 the Nave was extended so the church could seat 483 people. On 1 April 1897 a deranged woman set fire to the Church. The inside of the building and the roof were destroyed but all the walls as well as the tower remained intact. Services continued, being held in the school room and the hall of the Grey Institute. Less that six months after the fire the foundation stone of the re-built and larger Church was laid. Holy Trinity was only constituted as a parish in 1930 and over the years has had many ups and downs. Looking to the future, the Mission Statement is "Making friends, Becoming disciples, Serving Jesus."

Back to previous page

Home | Clerical Directory | Diocesan Directory | Parishes | Full Directory (requires login) | Events | News | Synod | iindaba

Powered by PE Church Net / Easy CMS Website Builder