Anglican Diocese of Port Elizabeth

Click to learn more about our diocesan coat of arms

Home | Clerical Directory | Diocesan Directory | Parishes | Full Directory (requires login) | Events | News | Synod | iindaba






Parish Information

Christ the King
Archdeaconry: Tsitsikamma
District: Port Elizabeth City
Telephone: 041-452-2465
Fax: 041-452-2270
Email: parishofchristtheking@telkomsa.net

Postal Address:
P O Box 16083
Gelvandale
6016

Street Address:
Sable Street
Gelvandale
Port Elizabeth

Archdeacon and Rector: The Venerable Fumanekile Witness Kula
Retired: Revd. Canon Benjamin Oswell Botha
Self supporting - Permission to officiate: The Revd Siyabulela Richard Tshatshu
Self supporting - Permission to officiate: The Revd Jennifer Eden Van Rooyen
Self supporting: Deacon: Revd Andile Lawrence Dumse
Self-supporting : Permission to Officiate: Revd Isaac Charles Petersen
Parish Secretary: Nasreen Abrahams

Service Times:
Sunday
8.00 am Sung Eucharist
Wednesday
9.30 am Eucharist

Worship Style:
Traditional - Anglo-Catholic

History:
In 1960 as 'coloured' families were forced to move out of South End, Fairview, Sidwell and other parts of `white' Port Elizabeth, because of the Group Areas Act, people started meeting for worship in the home of John Kannemeyer in Kobus Road, Gelvandale. In a memorandum to the PE Church Extension Board the Revd Reginald Fane later in the year, indicated that there were 63 families using the house church for worship services. With the house becoming too small, services moved to Gelvandale Primary School No 2 and at this stage Gelvandale was regarded as a chapelry of St Michael and All Angels. Negotiations for a church site had begun in 1957 and a site was eventually procured in 1958. A loan for the building of the church was received from the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel (SPG) and the foundation stone was laid on 25 October 1964, by Bishop Gordon Tindall. Costs had risen drastically since the first estimate in 1962 and the diocese was forced to sell St James, Sidwell, to pay the builders. The first Rector was the Revd Roy Lord. Since then a rectory, and a hall have been built and a stained glass window installed above the altar. One of the largest church buildings in the diocese, Christ the King has been host to many diocesan events, including the Thanksgiving Service for the ministry of the late Bishop Bruce Evans and the Enthronement of our present Bishop, Eric Pike. The parish now has a roll of about 400 families and their vision is: The worship of God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit will continue to be the reason for our existance and the focus of our worship. It is our desire to provide a stable form of worship incorporating new Liturgical developments and music that are theologically sound and culturally helpful. It is our intention to expand and deepen our ministry to children beyond the `classroom' situation into their community and every day lives.

Back to previous page

Home | Clerical Directory | Diocesan Directory | Parishes | Full Directory (requires login) | Events | News | Synod | iindaba

Powered by PE Church Net / Easy CMS Website Builder