District: Port Elizabeth City
Fax: 041 360-9540
P O Box 10045
209 Great West Way
Rector: The Revd Xhantilomzi Mhlontlo
Retired: The Revd Andrew John Jantjies
Self supporting - General Licence: The Revd Richard George Taylor
Self supporting Priest - Permission to Officiate: The Revd Thanduxolo Noketshe
Parish Secretary: Cheryl Nelson
07:30 Holy Eucharist
09:30 Holy Eucharist, Creche, Junior and Teen Church
This service is family oriented.
09:00 Holy Eucharist
Contemporary and family orientated
Ministry in the Western Suburbs of P E began early in 1961 with Holy Communion being celebrated in "St Anne's", the lounge in the home of Mr and Mrs R Paterson. In June that year the hall behind Lawrenson's Garage became available and services began being held there. Soon
afterwards the church was named the "Francis Phelps Church". In 1965 the Revd John Dunn became assistant priest at St Hugh's and in charge of Francis Phelps Church. In his time a new sanctuary was built on and the name of the church changed to All Saints. Synod in 1966 resolved that All Saints' Church, together with St Alban's, Draaifontein, and Holy Trinity, Thornhill, should become a separate Pastoral Charge. With the growth of the Western Suburbs and therefore the church, a plot of land was bought and the present church building and rectory were built and
opened in 1974 by Bishop Philip Russell and consecrated by Bishop Bruce Evans in 1977. The area covered by the parish extends from Greenbushes in the west and includes Sherwood on one side of the N2 and Bridgemead to Westering on the other. All Saints' have many active groups involved in outreach of one form or another: House Churches; Liturgical Dance Group; Music Group; Knitting and Sewing; Youth; etc. We are involved in the Transformations movement which has linked with the SACLA follow-up, and also with Exodus Initiative, seeking to show forth the love of Christ in practical ways in the community. All Saints' vision is:- All Saints' Church seeks to be: People of God, Under God's authority, A united family, Empowered by the Holy Spirit, Worshipping God, Proclaiming the Good News of Jesus to the wider community through word and action.
St Alban, Draaifontein - On 15 July 1888, when Mr Johnson was tenant on the farm "Draaifontein", the first service was held in the old homestead, and it was through this that the first seed of Anglicanism was sown in the district. Canon Mayo and Dr Wirgman from St Mary's made the journey to Draaifontein on horse-back, taking two days over the journey. In 1901 the first church building was completed, on two morgen of land donated by Mr J J Beckley. Materials for this building were shipped from Britain and brought from North End to the farm by ox-wagon. It was dedicated as "St Alban", a daughter church of St Mary's, in 1904 by Bishop Cornish. With the growth of the church a tram was purchased in 1951 and used as a Sunday School and in 1972 the present church building was dedicated, with the Sunday School and kitchen extension added on in 1976. At this time St Alban's had become a chapelry of All Saints, Kabega.
St Alban, Draaifontein is a Chapelry of All Saints, Kabega Park
Back to previous page