Anglican Diocese of Port Elizabeth

Click to learn more about our diocesan coat of arms

Home | Clerical Directory | Diocesan Directory | Parishes | Full Directory (requires login) | Events | News | Synod | iindaba






Parish Information

Alexandria
Archdeaconry: Kariega
District: Alexandria
Telephone: 046-648-1845
Fax: 046-648-1845
Email: alexparish@eastcape.net

Postal Address:
P O Box 81
Bushmans River Mouth
6190

Street Address:
38, Main Road
Bushmans River Mouth

Priest : Self supporting: Revd Pamela Ann Goodwin
Rector: Revd Mxolisi Sydney Somandi
Retired: Revd. Canon John Davis
Retired: The Revd David John Gwilliam
Retired - Permission to officiate: Revd Canon Henry Patrick Terence Beadon
Parish Secretary: Janet Holcroft

Service Times:
Sunday
(1) St David 8.00 am (BRM) and 07h00 Monday - Saturday
(2) Christ Church 10h00 am (Alexandria)
(3) St Michael 10h30 am (Alexandria - Xhosa)

Worship Style:
Orthodox Anglican in the spirit of 1989 APB

History:

It is not possible to identify the exact date on which life began for the Anglican Church in Alexandria, But it is recorded by Bishop Gray, in his journals, that on 22 August 1850, he rode from Salem to Churchplace (now Alexandria) where the English speaking community spoke to him of their desire for a resident English speaking minister. Until this time they had receive services once a month conducted by the Revd T Henchman. Colonial Chaplain at Uitenhage, the Revd P Copeman was appointed to the chaplaincy of Sidbury in 1857, with special permission to live on a farm close to Alexandria. In May of 1856, the first recorded baptism, that of William Henry Deacon, appears in the register, with the Revd Mr Copeman officiating. It is interesting to note that the descendants of both these persons still worship in the parish, as the year 2000 draws closer! The Bishop of Grahamstown, the Rt Revd Henry Cotterill laid the foundation stone of Christ Church Alexandria in 1860, and first reference to the completed building is found with the recorded marriage of James Edward Nightingale and Louisa Short, in July 1863. Only in 1904 was the commencement made with the building of a Rectory, and this was completed the following year, at a cost of stlg604.

Back to previous page

Home | Clerical Directory | Diocesan Directory | Parishes | Full Directory (requires login) | Events | News | Synod | iindaba

Powered by PE Church Net / Easy CMS Website Builder